Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Background -- 2013 Lexus RX350, 60,000 miles. Intermittent…

Customer Question
Background -- 2013 Lexus...

Background -- 2013 Lexus RX350, 60,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Lexus?

Intermittent no start problem. Depress brake, green light on start button, press button

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

A grinding noise like the starter solenoid is not pulling in. This is intermittent, about 30% of the time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Also, the rear power tailgate refuses to open about 30% of the time. This all started yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Those are the symptoms so far, can these be caused by a low voltage/ week battery.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lexus
8/4/2017
Lexus Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago
mike switzer

is it a high speed grinding noise when it doesnt start and is it also a no crank condition?

From the sound, I would say the starter motor is spinning but the starter solenoid did no fully engage the gear.Both the starting problem and the power tailgate problem began at the same time, yesterday afternoon. So with two simultaneous problems, I am starting to suspect a weak battery as a common cause.
From the sound, I would say the starter motor is spinning but the starter solenoid did no fully engage the gear.Both the starting problem and the power tailgate problem began at the same time, yesterday afternoon. So with two simultaneous problems, I am starting to suspect a weak battery as a common cause.Have you seen these symptoms caused by a weak battery?
Lexus Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

no the power needed for the rear door is not near the power needed for the starter. and if it was a weak battery you would get a slow crank. the power needed to engage the starter to the flywheel is minimal. it sounds like you have two seperate issues honestly either a starter that is starting to go out or a damaged flywheel. if the teeth are damaged slightly in one spot then when ever the engine happens to stop at that spot then it will have issues starting. but more than likely the starter itself is worn out. as for the rear hatch i have seen them loose memory before and simply need a hard reset. you can tray disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting to see if that clears it up.

Hi Mike, sorry for not getting back to you sooner -- we had out of town guests this weekend.I went ahead and put a new battery into the Lexus (against your advice). The new battery solved both problems. The engine starts immediately when I press the start button, and the power tailgate now opens when I press the button on the dash or under the tailgate handle.Everything works perfectly. So weak battery is a possible common cause for two separate electrical symptoms which show up at the same time.
mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer