Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I've removed the felt lining on the bottom of my 2002 Lexus…

Customer Question
I've removed the felt...

I've removed the felt lining on the bottom of my 2002 Lexus LS430 and there is no pull to open the trunk and my key or dash latch do not open the trunk either

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

In the key mechanism?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Lexus?

LS430

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to reach the manual latch inside the trunk through the backseat and it doesn't seem to open it maybe because can't get enough leverage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I went to open the trunk with the key I heard electronic latch lock and it hasnt opened again

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've just sprayed the key latch with silicone spray and it does not seem to help at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I being connected w mechanic now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dash display also says trunk open and the trunk light stays on draining the battery
8/1/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago
Jeromy Madison

How did you get in to the trunk to remove the felt lining?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I remove the felt whining in the bottom of the center console as somebody suggested because there would be a trunk latch there but that was on an SC 430 and I have an LS 430
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

There is not manual release in these vehicles. There should be a switch on the drivers kick panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That doesn't open trunk either, the key seems to only go into it halfway
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

Can you turn the key when it is in the lock? Do you have the key fob?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the key does not turn and I do not have a key Phibes I bought this vehicle used with one key only the ignition key
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. When did you hear the lock actuate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After opening the trunk several times the last time I tried to open it it sounded like electronic lock
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the key has not worked sense in the trunk lid
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. is it still open enough to keep the light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apparently, the light stays on all the timeand the dash display says trunk open
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But the trunk seemed to close properly the last time I closed it and it doesn't appear to be open at all
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. when you press the button on the kick panel you can you the acutator? Have you tried to unlock the valet mode in that place?

Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

I can send you a wiring diagram, it seems that lock actuator is bad. Do you have any way of getting into the trunk from the back seat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried but the key does not seem to turn in the push to lock and turn key to open key Mechanism
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing more than my arm will fit through the opening in the backseat
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

I am very sorry, but Lexus did not make any easy way to get to the lock if it is not working and unfortunately they put the relays in the trunk. As a mechanic I would remove the rear seats in order to access the lock. This may mean cutting out some of the supports to access it. Unfortunately this is almost the only way to do it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't a fob open it if I were to acquire one!?
Lexus Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

It might, because it seems that it was working when the key was installed all the way in correct?

Also I would work with that key a bit. put it in the hole and shake it and push and twist, those can get gummed up, but usually you can get them in there if there is not something in the hole.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Believe me when I say I have shaken pushed and twisted the key in the trunk mechanism. The times that it did work properly I turn the key counter clockwise, the time that it did seem to lock I turned the key clockwise and that is the last time the key worked in the trunk