lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

I've removed the felt lining on the bottom of my 2002 Lexus

Customer Question

I've removed the felt lining on the bottom of my 2002 Lexus LS430 and there is no pull to open the trunk and my key or dash latch do not open the trunk either
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: In the key mechanism?
JA: What is the model of your '02 Lexus?
Customer: LS430
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to reach the manual latch inside the trunk through the backseat and it doesn't seem to open it maybe because can't get enough leverage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I went to open the trunk with the key I heard electronic latch lock and it hasnt opened again
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've just sprayed the key latch with silicone spray and it does not seem to help at all
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I being connected w mechanic now?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The dash display also says trunk open and the trunk light stays on draining the battery
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 2 months ago.

How did you get in to the trunk to remove the felt lining?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I remove the felt whining in the bottom of the center console as somebody suggested because there would be a trunk latch there but that was on an SC 430 and I have an LS 430

There is not manual release in these vehicles. There should be a switch on the drivers kick panel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That doesn't open trunk either, the key seems to only go into it halfway

Can you turn the key when it is in the lock? Do you have the key fob?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No the key does not turn and I do not have a key Phibes I bought this vehicle used with one key only the ignition key

Ok. When did you hear the lock actuate?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After opening the trunk several times the last time I tried to open it it sounded like electronic lock
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the key has not worked sense in the trunk lid

Ok. is it still open enough to keep the light on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Apparently, the light stays on all the timeand the dash display says trunk open
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But the trunk seemed to close properly the last time I closed it and it doesn't appear to be open at all

Ok. when you press the button on the kick panel you can you the acutator? Have you tried to unlock the valet mode in that place?

I can send you a wiring diagram, it seems that lock actuator is bad. Do you have any way of getting into the trunk from the back seat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried but the key does not seem to turn in the push to lock and turn key to open key Mechanism
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing more than my arm will fit through the opening in the backseat

I am very sorry, but Lexus did not make any easy way to get to the lock if it is not working and unfortunately they put the relays in the trunk. As a mechanic I would remove the rear seats in order to access the lock. This may mean cutting out some of the supports to access it. Unfortunately this is almost the only way to do it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wouldn't a fob open it if I were to acquire one!?

It might, because it seems that it was working when the key was installed all the way in correct?

Also I would work with that key a bit. put it in the hole and shake it and push and twist, those can get gummed up, but usually you can get them in there if there is not something in the hole.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Believe me when I say I have shaken pushed and twisted the key in the trunk mechanism. The times that it did work properly I turn the key counter clockwise, the time that it did seem to lock I turned the key clockwise and that is the last time the key worked in the trunk