Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Stuck passenger side driveaxle, 2000 ES300, Slide hammer…

Customer Question
Stuck passenger side driveaxle ...

Stuck passenger side driveaxle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

2000 ES300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Slide hammer with gear puller on end plus hitting bearing carrier

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

324000 no leaks but car will not pull itself forward or backward.there were 6 pieces of ferrous metal in the pan that looked like teeth

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just trying to pull axle then pull and replace tranny

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Lexus
7/30/2017
Lexus Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. Try a pickle fork while using the slide hammer, you need to have even pressure from the fork applied to the axle to get it out.

OK text is good. I finally got the half shaft out with the bearing carrier still attached. Trying to use freeze spray on it to separate it. WIll rent a pickle fork to try too, otherwise I will have to pay someone to press it out
see above

Worst case is you cut off the axle and scrap it with the trans and you get a new axle which is pretty cheap online, I dunno if you thought about that option?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician