Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My fiance's vehicle a 1997 Lexus ES 300 has an issue where

Customer Question

My fiance's vehicle a 1997 Lexus ES 300 has an issue where the Anti-Theft Alarm goes off randomly. The vehicle when received from her mother's boyfriend 2 years ago also had the door adjar indicator on -- all the time. Not sure if those two things are linked, but the anti-theft alarm system started going haywire only recently -- last 3 or so months. Luckily, it's only gone off (as far as she knows) when she's been around to address it. She did not receive a remote entry key only a basic master key, so it's not her accidentally bumping the panic button. Her concern as well as mine is that this issue could happen when she's not around to address it and cause the battery to die.
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: She gets into the car using the key every day.
JA: Are you fixing your ES 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, but I'd like to do something to address the issue before it become a severe problem. I'm not sure what she does or has done to address it other than going to the car unlocking all the doors followed by locking all the doors and waiting 30 or so seconds before re-entering the vehicle and trying to start it up... I assume that has been working for her to stop the alarm since it's not be sounding off 24/7.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've read that the potential issue could be related to the door actuators or something; plus, it could be related to the actual anti-theft deterrent system, but it was hard to say if the things I was reading were actually related the exact same problem she's been having.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I think if I explained how the system works (in order to activate), I can solve your issue. On Toyota vehicles, the anti-theft system activates when the anti-theft unit sees ANY kind of current draw. This could be the dome light, the ignition, the radio, anything. The system assumes that the dome light will go on if the car is broken into. The light activating is a current draw. IE the alarm goes off. If the dome light is off, or burnt out, any other electrical item turned on (brake lights, headlights, hot wire the ignition, etc, will set the alarm off. So. If the door ajar light is coming on, you have a draw. Most likely, the door switch is bad on the driver side door. This is easy to check. Get in the car and shut all of the doors. Press your weight on each of the doors, trying to push on it (but do not open it), If the door ajar light comes on, or the domelight tried to come on, even a flicker, that door is the problem. Replace the switch and you should be ok.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!