Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Had a lot of work done to it including struts and timing

Customer Question
belt replaced. it runs...
had a lot of work done to it including struts and timing belt replaced. it runs a lot rougher now. what could be causing that?
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: the old timing belt had 87,000 miles on it. but it is nor brand new less than 250 miles on it
JA: What is the model of your '87 Lexus?
Customer: it is a 2004 gx470 it has about 87,000 miles on it
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, it was taken to a mechanic and had various things replaced after a week, it is running rougher than before
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
1/8/2017
Lexus Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

is the engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the check engine light is not on

does it run rough at idle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it is a s noticeable at idle as when it is running. The struts were also replaced, so I am not sure what might be causing the issue.

is it a rough ride or is motor running bad?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the front and rear brakes, a leaking radiator, the rear airbags, and the water pump were all replaced or repaired as well
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a rough ride, just doesn't run as smooth as before the work was done

did they use oe struts or aftermarket? if so what brand

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do the struts and / or timing belt need minor adjustements when new ones are installed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told oe struts

no adjustment...did the put part numbers on your reciept

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the ones lexus would buy, but does not have the lexus name on them
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure about the part numbers on the receipt. it is a friend's vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what should look for on the receipt to indicate oe struts?

part number would tell me oe part # is (###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. I will get the receipt at some point. What else could be an issue?

my guess is low quality aftermarket parts causing the poor ride

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it is more of an engine issue, what could be the timing belt concerns?

if it was a timing concern the engine light would be on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nopart numbers on receipt. replaced front struts and aligned, replaced rear air springs, replaced front and rear pads, replaced timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, and drive belt, replaced radiator, and performed 90,000 mile service

brand anything?

how much were the frt struts each?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no brand, $220 each for a total of $440

they are after market then oe are 300 each

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy