Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a Lexus es300 and it won't go passed 20mph and I know

Customer Question

I have a Lexus es300 and it won't go passed 20mph and I know it's in limp mode, we've changed the coils and spark plugs a month ago because it was pulling and it worked fine for like a week or two and then now it's in this limp mode we changed senors and all kinds of stuff and no luck
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: They have 190k and last month.
JA: What year is your GS300?
Customer: I have a ES300 and it's 2001
JA: Are you fixing your GS300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah my husband and I, and we changed the spark plugs and coils and an oxygen senser and a new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really thank you.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all or have the fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete thanks for replying.
The check engine light is on and we have checked the codes at our auto zone and everything it said we fixed. It said one of the coils was bad, which it was and we fixed it with a new one. We actually changed them all. And then it just read the oxygen senor and we fixed that as well and it's still doing it.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Does the engine rev up properly in park or neutral or does it feel like a loss of power when revving in park or neutral as well here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not necessarily park or neutral, when shifting to reverse it takes a couple seconds to kick in
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Does it feel like the transmission is shifting up into higher gears when this fault occurs or like it is stuck in a lower gear?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When accelerating it has a hard time getting past 25 mph. Rpms go up and eventually get almost to redline. Replaced all 6 ignitions coils in which 2 and 6 were misfiring. Starting running fine after and now it's barely going and won't shift past 25 mph.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Transmission fluid looks fine, never has had tranny issues, when I pulled out coil 2 it was mangled up and had to restrip the spark plug threads. Only issue ran across was that. Have disconnected the battery for an hour and nothing seems to be helping
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

This sounds like a transmission fault here.If the rpm goes up and the engine loses speed this is indicating the transmission is not upshifting.This can be a fault with a shift solenoid in the transmission or a valve body fault in the transmission.If it was an engine component the transmission would still up shift and the rpms would drop back down instead of red line issues here.

You will have to have the transmission checked/tested further to locate which component is the cause here and then from there that component replaced.This is usually best done by a transmission repair facility or dealer that has access to the tools needed to test the transmission components here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete