Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I got an error c15a9 from the virus warning light. My Lexus

Customer Question

I got an error c15a9 from the virus warning light. My Lexus dealer says I have to get the ps rack and ECU replaced and it will cost€7236.59 ! I'm in shock
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: warning light and one with the car and skid lines
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: ls460 2007
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i would like to know what caused it and if it is related to an earlier recall
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont think so
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hi im kevin the recall was around 2011 if im right and i believe it was software related im very doutful that it has any bearing on your fault .the fault code is pretty clearcut and i can confirm unfortunatly the only fix for this issue is replacement of rack and controlled .it is a very complex system and for that reason is rediculously expensive to replace

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Please rate my service

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What might have caused it? And do you think the quote is the best I will do? Also am I better fixing it or getting rid of the car? Are more things likely to break? Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

This is the biggest issue with lexus in general the cars are good and strong but when they get a few years old and bits fail the bits are really expensive .you could probrably get the labour cheaper by looking at a non dealer garagebut for a new part there is no different option .the rack apparently wears at the gearing section causing the electronics to become confused

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all