Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I have what almost sounds like a vibration noise or an

Customer Question
exhaust noise when I am...
I have what almost sounds like a vibration noise or an exhaust noise when I am driving. It is constant, and you only hear it in the vehicle while driving. Can't hear it at rest or when I turn the vehicle on.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 149,500, typically I get around 19 mpg, its within 1 mpg of that value.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2008 RX 350
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, I am planning on selling it within a month or two. I am only worried about resale value at this point.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was in a traffic accident three or four months ago, didn't have this noise before that...we were rear-ended driverside. There was a lot of repair to the vehicle, it was borderline totaled with insurance. I think it directly related to the accident.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
9/2/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Does it sound like the noise is coming from the area of the accident?

If you rev the engine while parked can you hear it?

Do you know if any exhaust parts were replaced in the accident?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
No
I need to check the report, but I do not recall seeing any language about the exhaust. Back in 2002, I had a Ford Ranger (1993) that made a similar sound and I replaced the Catalitic converter and Muffler and it corrected the problem. It almost sounded like a blower or compressor, and that's what this sounds like.

It's really hard to say. Noises are a real bear to diagnose remotely. So it only makes the noise when moving, does it increase with vehicle speed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would say yes, I am leaning more towards vibration than exhaust right now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds like the vibration is more towards the front of the vehicle. Almost sounds like a buzzing under your feet in the driver and front passenger seats.

That could be a worn motor mount. The motor mount on this car is designed to filter out vibrations, but you likely still feel and hear it at an idle, or at least while revving the engine. If the transmission mount was bad it would only be felt while driving though. You might try putting the engine in drive while holding the brake with one foot and feathering the gas with the other foot while someone watches the engine. If the engine jumps more than a few inches in ant direction while doing this in drive and then in reverse then you most likely have a bad mount.

I just wanted to check and see if you still need help with this.

If not, please don't forget to rate if I have been of some assistance to you.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician