Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Well we brought it last year and after about a month we had

Customer Question
CHECK VSC engine light and...
Well we brought it last year and after about a month we had CHECK VSC engine light and trac light on then it went off for about a month then back on all the time. We Dont have much money but need it fixed and the garage wouldn't do it under warranty!!
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on now!
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: Lexus is220d and 57 plate
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried nothing yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Apart from taking it back to the garage twice
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
8/26/2016
Lexus Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

Can you get access to a scan tool so we can pull codes and see why those lights are on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Scan tool?? Where is that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It used to go off when we removed the battery for a little while then come back on and stayed on permanent now worried its going to cost lots if money that we Dont have to get fixed!!

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

lexpert
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech