Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Lexus GX470 2006. The air suspension bottomed out. No

Customer Question
activity with the up/down button...
Lexus GX470 2006. The air suspension bottomed out. No activity with the up/down button. I checked the fuses and relay via a battery for the relay- Good. I bypassed the relay by jumping it- the air compressor turmed on but the bags did not inflate.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No. What is the ccorelation with the battery- because the battery light turned on?
JA: What is the model of your '06 Lexus?
Customer: GX470
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes- per the costs associated with the complex system and the negative feedback on Lexus forums.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The air compressor would not turn on automatically until I bypassed the Relay and "jumped it". However, the bags would not inflate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
8/11/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I have not checked the codes. The air compressor would turn on initially and finally stopped all together, It remains bottomed out. I checked the fuses and relay- Go0d. I bypassed the relay with a jump wire thereby enabling the air compressor which turned on. However, the air bags did not inflate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if the air compressor turns- is it possible that something will rprevent the air from reaching the bags or a failed compressor

Yes,when you jumped the compressor most likely the exhaust valve was open and air was bypassed through the exhaust system for the compressor instead of to the air bags themselves.

What happens is when a fault is detected a code is set and this disables the compressor from operating until the fault is corrected and the fault codes cleared out.What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set,then from there those codes diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault here.Once repaired then the codes cleared out and the compressor will operate as it should as well as the exhaust valve.

Most common is usually a faulty air suspension bag/shock needing replaced or a faulty level sensor needing replaced.But the codes will need read out/checked with a compatible scan tool to pinpoint and correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So I HAVE to get a fault code before I call you because it can be a variety of problems- Is that what you are requesting?

This would make it easier to diagnose.If you can get the codes checked with a fully compatible scan tool then post the code info here (instead of the phone call as this is not required) this will help me to help diagnose the fault.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician