Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

My 2002 es300 turn key on all lights and gauges come on.

Customer Question
Turn key to start everything...
My 2002 es300 turn key on all lights and gauges come on. Turn key to start everything goes off doesn't click or anything. We checked battery, wires, cable ends, and starter. Any suggestions
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/5/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician

I would like to help. When you say you checked the starter, how was it checked? Has any work been performed recently other than what has been done in the description.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We took it off and checked it.It was sluggish for a couple of days starting. Then I stopped at a place went back out and wouldn't start. If you turn key on everything lights up including head lights on everything. Turn it on over to start everything including the clock goes out and it doesn't even click or anything

I really think that the starter is still the issue. When you checked the starter do you mean that you had it checked on a bench tester at a parts store? Are you wanting to perform the repair yourself or have a technician perform the repair?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On a bench tester

I think we need to try and turn the motor over by hand to see if the engine is seized or not. Can you access the crank pulley bolt? If you can and if you can get a socket wrench on it, turn the crank pulley clockwise to see if the engine moves. If it does, move let me know. If it doesn't move then the engine is seized and it will need a new engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that in the morning but it was running fine when I stopped at the restaurant when it wouldn't start back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it isn't seized you think it is starter?

Thanks for the clarification. I really don't think that the engine is seized. I really do think it is the starter. There may be a hard spot in the armature of the starter that just makes it fail intermittently. In fact I am confident that it is the starter.

Do you need instructions on how to replace the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No but I appreciate it I had it off today. I mean everything windows dash everything is on bright until you turn the key on forward you hear nothing no clicking or anything and everything goes off. I will replace it if you think that is it and go from there

I think replacing it will be your best option at this point. The lights turn off so that all available voltage can be sent to the starter. In fact the Starter motor itself is probably okay but the starter solenoid could be bad, that's why you don't hear a click. I am happy to hang in with you tomorrow if you want? Be glad to help. Otherwise, please rate my service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wasn't the starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm open to suggestions lol
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you not get the starter wasn't it.
Lexus Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have sent the messages telling him it wasn't the starter. Yes it is still not running.

How were the battery and connections checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Taken loose cleaned and tightened

How was the battery checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just by the battery tester and load and Ali tested good. I thought might have a broke post inside battery just don't know
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do know there is juice getting to the starter

Your first post said the car goes electrically dead when the key is turned to the crank position. That's not correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is correct all light and everything goes off and it does even click or anything.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the big one at a garage I am using

Do you have a set of known good jumper cables?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have a big booster box with both it still does the same time.

It's going to take electrical testing to determine what is going on, there is voltage drop in a cable or connection somewhere. As a last resort without testing you can try connecting a jumper cable from the battery negative post to a grounded chassis part or an unpainted metal part on the engine and see if that allows cranking, if so then the problem is on the ground side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you think in wiring between battery and starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be security related

It's not a security issue. If the vehicle goes electrically dead it's because battery voltage is being lost due to the battery, a cable or connection issue.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician