Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I own a 2004 Lexus Rx330. I removed my battery and now my

Customer Question

Hello I'm Jeri and I own a 2004 Lexus Rx330. I removed my battery and now my car will not drive. The accelerator will barely do anything. What are my options? Please help me
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: No I have not but honestly I do think I need a new one! It had started not wanting to start and now will not hold a charge
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I'm broke to say the least. I've just checked the etc fuse which seems to be ok not blown
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. Actually that's it. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. It is imperative that the battery be fully charged to provide the onboard computers the necessary voltage. These units start doing bizarre things when the voltage in the system drops. If the ETCS fuse is good (it controls the throttle motor operation), you either need a new battery, or, you may have an alternator issue that is not allowing the system to fully power up the computers. I would remove the ETCS fuse and replace it with another fuse before anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will do that. Now a couple of weeks ago I had my alternator belt replaced because it broke. You think maybe that it is the alternator? Gosh I hope not! So I will replace the fuse and by a battery. Do I have to get a Lexus battery?

You do not need a 'Lexus' battery, but you may have a faulty alternator. The aftermarket alternators available in parts stores these days are horribly notorious for poor workmanship. We have taken alternators right out of the box in the shop and installed them, only to find that they do not charge at all. Inexpensive alternators are very poor quality. A positive rating for my assistance today would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but I only replaced belt. I think and I'm hoping that it's the battery! One reason being that it was not wanting to start before I removed it. And I have charged to only find that it's dead again! It also looks as tho it could be the original cause it is a Lexus battery

I would replace the battery. If it is original, it is not going to recharge and sustain the proper voltage. Also, when you get a new battery, get a battery termianl cleaner and clean the battery terminals that connect to the battery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. One last question I have another Lexus it's a 1998 e300 and the key was taken or lost! What's the best option and cheapest? Lock smiths are wanting 600.00

600 is really expensive. We have a locksmith here that will scan the car and make a new key for 150 dollars. The only other option would be to get a replacement computer, immobilizer module, and a complete ignition from a auto recycler (from a vehicle that starts). Replace all of the units and the car should start. Personally, I would find another locksmith that is cheaper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome so you guys could get me key program it scan it 150.00

No, we have a locksmith near the town I work (Pittsburgh) that does this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically you could get it done and then just ship me the key ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a new battery and definetly need one but it didn't fix the accelerator! The engine light is on also the VSC LIGHT is on... Have any other suggestions? Ac is cool..goes in gear just fine.. Does it take sometime to reset? I've heard it could take sometime

Check the ETCS fuse again please. Either the fuse is bad, or the throttle sensor (on the gas pedal) and/or the throttle motor has an issue.