Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

What fries when battery is hookek up backwards

Customer Question
what fries when battery is hookek up backwards
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
7/13/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the main fuse should blow but before it does, the short sends a surge that can burn up the ecm, cluster and any other module in the car. start with checking all the fuses with a test light for power on both sides with the key on. hopefully not much damage is done

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hook up to + termamal it gets hot, how can I use codes with key on,i know which holes to cross

I would not gp there yet until you confirm all the fuses.

does the check engine light come on with key on??

does it run now??

what does not work??

it is an old obd 1 system and wont give much info anyway

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cant axcess code reader ,when I hook the second wire to + to lite instruments dash lights terminal gets hot slowly.

can you please answer my questions???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it did run before I hooked up wrong.two wires hook to + terminal when wire to fuse box with 125 amp.fuse is touched to + dash lights all come on does not short fuse but starts to get hot.engine lite does not com on with key .added gas but was out of gas.

you need to replace the main fuse first before anything. once that is replaced, then you need to see what works and does not

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi roy this is stan the car does not start. the fuses appear to be good in the main box under the hood. but when you connect the main hot wire that feeds the main fuses under hood it gets to hot to hold
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does not blow any fuses though
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no dash lights or gauges work unless it is hooked up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
check engine light does not come on it does not start everything unless you power up the ome lead to the fuse box
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok it did run until the main positive and negative wires got hooked up in reverse. positive to negative and negative to positive
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that make the main wire get hot if main fuse is bad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is stan again I just tried to test the first part of the fuse box where the main hot lead go in and I think that there is an issue there. so we will check that out and if it doesn't work then I will get back in touch thank you very much for your help. you did a good job. we need to do more testing like you said before we can give you the proper answers. thanks again stan

ok

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest