Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I am having an a/c issue with my 2005 Lexus RX330, the fan

Customer Question

Hello. I am having an a/c issue with my 2005 Lexus RX330, the fan blows but cool air is only coming through intermittently. The mechanic I am having look at stated that I have a radiator leak. Does that make sense - can the radiator leak be the cause of the A/C failure.
JA: How old are the hoses? Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: I do not know if the hoses were replaced when I got the Lexus in 2011. I have not replaced them. The car is serviced routinely so I assume the fluids are OK, but I do not know.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not capable of repairing it myself, if it is a radiator leak. Does a radiator leak make sense as a cause of the A/C not working?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That is all the information I have.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Just to make sure, he said the radiator and not the condenser, which looks like a radiator and is in front of the radiator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He stated the radiator over the phone, no mention of the condenser.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

While not common it is possible for a hole in the radiator to affect the cooling of the ac. With the radiator and the condenser being in the same area with one in front of the other, if the radiator is getting hot due to the leak, then the condenser will get hot as well from the radiant heat thrown off from the radiator. This will affect the condensers ability to stay cool which is need to condense the refrigerant from gas to liquid form which will cause the ac to not cool when this occurs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the radiator is the problem, about how much should it cost to repair/replace the radiator, including all the labor and miscellaneous items (hoses, coolant, etc...)
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Labor time is 1.9 hours, which is about $190. The radiator lists for $425, then coolant, about $30. Total should be about $645

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.