Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I HAVE A 2015 iS250 F Sport. Recently the sound went out on

Customer Question
all stereo, Nav Ect. The...
i HAVE A 2015 iS250 F Sport. Recently the sound went out on all stereo, Nav Ect. The items were working however no sound, including the speak instructions button. Took it to the dealership, service guy says the amp in the trunk is protected by a flap and the flap was open and allowed water in." The amp was sitting in water which shorted out the amp."
The vehicle has only 20K miles on it bought new from this dealer. They say it is not covered under Mfrs warranty and i have to pay $1,500 for a new amp.
I live in Dallas, have not driven through any flood waters, never flooded the car. We have had heavy rains recently so i am sure that i may have hit a few puddles but noting that would cause this kind of damage.
Question: Shouldn't this be covered under the warranty?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
6/9/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** to assist you.

If the flap was damaged that protects the amp, due to a previous car accident or abuse. Then probably not covered. If this was a defect from the manufacturer then yes it should be covered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your response. I have had no accident and take good care of the vehicle. Always garaged at night etc. The work ticket from the mechanic says. "FOUND STANDING WATER IN
PASSENGER REAR QUARTER IN TRUNK AREA. REACHED THE AMPLIFIER CAUSING IT TO SHORT INTERNALLY.
THIS IS NOT WARRANTY. DRAINED MOST OF THE WATER OUT OF THE QUARTER AND USED PRESSURE WASHER AND DID NOT FIND ANY LEAKS. MOST LIKELY CAUSE IS FROM DRIVING THROUGH HIGH WATER AND ENTERING THE PRESSURE EQUALIZATION PANEL NXT TO THE AMPLIFIER"
We have had a large amount of heavy rains here in Dallas in the last month and some with high winds however i have not driven through high water. It appears to me that the dealership is trying to keep from having it covered under warranty by blaming it on me. So if i understand your response to me correctly then if the flap were faulty it would allow the water in. Has there been any history of faulty flaps that you know of, or a website that i could go to check on that? Also what is the correct term for that flap?
Thank you for your help on this.

Go higher up than the dealership by getting Lexus involved, send out an email to the district manager. Or call the dealership and ask for the Factory field service rep and call them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The service guy just gave me an 800 number to Lexus Corporate and said call it and follow the auto prompts. He didn't even know where Lexus Corporate was. How do i find out contact info on the district manager?
Also can you give me the correct term for the "flap"
Thanks again!

If water came up that high, you would probably have alot of silt stains and rust on the interior of the vehicle. Water would have come into the cabin and into the engine bay.

Quarter panel air duct.

You could try calling the general manager of the dealership.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sir. You have been very helpful. I have located the general managers email address and sent him an email, copied his service mgr.
Thank you again for your help.

Your Welcome Glad I could help you out.

Please rate the answer when you get a chance, thanks! Hope it works out for you.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician