Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

It's bogs below 2k rpm and back fires JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question
It's bogs below 2k rpm...
It's bogs below 2k rpm and back fires
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried different mass air flow sensors
JA: Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: But it still bogs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2016
Lexus Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. What type of lexus is this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's is 1993 Lexus sc400

Has the check engine light been on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No light or anything
And now it bogs a lot than before

Have you replaced the fuel filter lately?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I did replace wires and spark plug

Ok. Fuel filter would be a good place to go next. Otherwise you may have to actually check the fuel pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this a common problem with sc400?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can I check the fuel pressure

I would not say common. You need to get a fuel pressure gage and hook it to the fuel line

But you do need the correct adapter to hook up a gauge to your fuel line.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any fuel filter will work?

Yes. Any will be sufficient

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks I am going to try that and I'll let u know how it goes thanks

Alright your welcome. SOunds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That did not fix the problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there

Ok. You should probably have the fuel pressure checked then.

Do you have the means to check the fuel pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to get this car running by tomorrow. It's going into show to represent my business

Without checking fuel pressure and I assume with no scan tool, at this point, you can try to do some basic checks. Like clean the throttle body. You could have a throttle position sensor that needs to be replaced. You could have a vacuum leak. You also could have a timing belt that has slipped and may be missing some teeth.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a feeling it's not the timing belt. But rest are good possibilities
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
U think I can accomplish that over night
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What you think few hour job?

Probably a few hour job. But I am yet to be sure exactly what you have going on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when it sits it's bubbles and when u try to take off it lags like the fuel isn't getting to it or there is a air leak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But when I did the fuel filter it got a little worse

It might get worse until the air is worked out, but that only takes a minute or so. Like I said a throttle position sensor can cause lack of power on take off. A week fuel pump can cause that. Did you try blowing through the old filter? If it has been restricted for a while the pump may have been straining and now is weak. Thats why a fuel pressure check is handy. Helps to eliminate fuel as the possibility. That is not uncommon for the pump to be weak for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok check this out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed the fuel filter and ran a bottle of red line fuel cleaner it starts off edgy but once u drive it for a while it get better it bogs just a tiny bit but as bad as before its doesn't bog or bubble do u think the lines were just dirty?

I dont know if the lines were dirty, but maybe some bad fuel. You can usually bang out the old fuel filter to get an idea of how dirty the fuel was.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hum I'm gonna try that because it does it light way
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I have most of the car done

How is your car running at this point? Please let me know what you have done and please rate my service so far. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician