Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My SC430 top will not open or close every time. When trying

Customer Question

My SC430 top will not open or close every time. When trying to open it sometimes it will slow way down about midway and never completely open. Also, when trying to close the trunk will open completely but the top will not emerge from the trunk cavity. The cover is completely engaged in the trunk slots and it appears the two slot buttons are depressed. Any ideas?
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: No.
JA: What year is your S430?
Customer: 2005
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: Over a year.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hopefully, I have taken it to the dealership 2 times so far for this issue and they could not find a solution. It works fine when they have seen it and they haven't been able to find a solution.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This fault here can be an issue with a weak motor/pump that operates the top that may be over heating as it tried to operate.I have seen this occur before and had to replace the motor/pump assembly.This can also be due to a fault with one of the top micro switch/sensors sending an incorrect signal on what position the roof is in.These need to be checked into/tested when the roof is acting up.The fault will have to be duplicated by a dealer or repair facility then from there they can diagnose if one of these is the cause needing replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete