lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

Vehicle went to body shop vehicle would not start. they

Customer Question

vehicle went to body shop vehicle would not start. they attempted to jump start reverse polarity popped the alternator fuse. replaced fuse block now vehicle will start but is in limp home mode with C1201 code no engine code just that one try to clear but will not clear
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Lexus Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what is the year and model???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh my bad 2006 IS250 2.5L
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks.

the body shop made a huge mistake. the fact that the trans is in limp mode tells me either the fuses is blown for the tcm or they damaged the tcm module with the current surge. crossing the cables damages all the modules with feed backs. you are lucky that it even runs.

the code is for the VSC system not the trans. can you access the trans portion of the system and look for codes???

it does not sound too good at this point but beyond this, there may be future issues

are they going to help you out with this??? they should as they caused the proble.

the code will not clear until the failure is determined, repaired. then the code will clear.

DTC C1201/51 Engine Control System Malfunction

DESCRIPTION
If a malfunction in the engine control system is detected, the operations of VSC and TRAC are prohibited by the fail safe function. When the signals from the engine are input normally, the fail safe is cancelled and the DTC is not stored.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no other system codes only that one. the scan tool will communicate with all available systems. the vsc/abs is the only system that has a code.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, then there is a transmission failure somewhere. can you see live data with the transmission??