Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My Lexus 470 alarm activates reason. Mostly when there is

Customer Question

My Lexus 470 alarm activates for no reason. Mostly when there is significant wind.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the alarm goes off all times during the day
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The most common issue with the factory alarm activating during windstorms is an overly sensitive 'glass breakage sensor'. This is a transducer that detects the frequency (in hertz) of breaking glass. There have been occasion where wind whistling is at the same frequency, which activates the alarm. Same thing with certain outdoor wind chimes. The frequency of the chimes (or the wind whistle), if 'heard' by the sensor, will cause the alarm to activate. SOme of these units are adjustable. The problem is getting to it, as it is buried under the dash on the driver side. If this vehicle was in my shop I would removing the lower part of the dash and seeing if the adjustment on the glass break sensor could be lowered.

If you have questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer