Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

My name is ***** ***** My brake lights seem to work as as my

Customer Question
Hello. My name is *****...
Hello. My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My brake lights seem to work as long as my head lights are not on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Made deposit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when my head lights are on, my tail lights work fine. However, when i suppress the brakes, my left brake light turns on, but the right tail lights and brake light completely turn off. Is there a "string" i should be looking at to troubleshoot this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've checked the fuses, and all seem to be good. Ive checked the bulbs. They all look good as well.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Can I get the year, make, and model?
  2. Is the 3rd brake light effected with this issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's 1990 Lexus ES250. The 3rd brake light is not effected in this scenario. However, when my left brake light was loose, the 3rd brake light would be on even if my brakes were not suppressed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help, Moose!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh... also, when my left brake light was loose, the tail lights were off (when they were supposed to be on).

Sorry I do not work on cars that old. I will opt out and let another help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Thanks!
Lexus Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a ground circuit fault to the right brake/tail light assembly or poor connection at this light assembly.I would start with checking the wiring and connections to the bulbs at the right side brake and tail light assembly to see if any issues are found.If any issues are found the fault will need corrected to resolve this here.If this is checked and all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah... i already checked all the wires (including soldered wires), and all the connections are solid. The only one that i had previously found was due to a loose screw.

Did you trace the ground wires to make sure they are secure where they attach at including grounds from the battery to the engine block and body as well as from the lights themselves?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didnt trace to the battery, but ill do that.

O.k.,let me know if you find any ground wiring issues needing repaired.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the delay. My weekends are actually the busiest times of the week. I might be able to get to it tomorrow, but for sure on Monday.

No problem.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician