Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

My trac off and vsc light is on how do I reset it

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
2/20/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Is the check engine light on also?

No it is not
I pressed the trac button and I took the battery cables off its still on

Do you know how to pull codes using a jumper wire in the DLC connector?

No I don't know how to do that

See the attached link this is a diagram of the diagnostic port under the instrument panel where you normally would plug a scan tool into check for codes in the engine control computer. Use a small piece of speakerelectrical wire and carefully insert the wire between the two terminals as indicated. Then turn the key to the on position and monitor the flash pattern of the ABS light and the VSC light. They will flash a two digit code. For example if there is a code 31 it will flash three times a slight pause that one flash. If there are additional codes they will follow in a two digit format. Focus on the ABS light first once all of the codes have been revealed right them down then turn the key off then turn it back on and focus on the VSC light and record those code numbers. Post them back here.

The abs light flashed once then just kept flashing the vsc light flashed 3 times paused then flashed 9 times

At this point the light will not clear because of the code 39. It means that there is foreign material attached to the tip of the left rear speed sensor. This could be anything from rust to debris or corrosion. If you live where rust and corrosion are an issue it is very difficult to get the sensor out without damaging it. It's also possible the wiring harness to it could have corrosion in the connector. The bot***** *****ne is the VSC light will not go out as long as this code is present. The code will automatically clear once you repair the sensor and/or wire to the left rear wheel. Your system will work normally as far as the brakes go you will not have VSC or ABS options but it will drive and stop under normal conditions. I have to step out for about an hour if you need any other additional input on this matter feel free to reply and I will get back to you otherwise please do not forget to rate the information that I provided to at three or higher.

As I recall that sensor presses into the back of the wheel bearing/hub assembly. I don't believe you can get that wheel speed sensor separate. You have to look into that it's possible the rotor on the back of the bearing shaft and assembly could be damaged sending a faulty signal indicating that it thinks there's debris on the sensor. Corrosion is notorious for getting into the back of the connector where snaps into the sensor itself.

I am about to check it out
Where do I rate you I don't see an option I haven't fixed the problem yet but I will try that in the morning when the auto part store opens up thanks for all the great advice it was extremely helpful

There should be a bar or a link that has a bunch of smiley faces that allows you to rate at three or higher if you're satisfied.