Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Starts, idles and runs beautifully - but stalls

Customer Question
Starts, idles and runs...

Starts, idles and runs beautifully - but stalls whenever....sometimes in 30 seconds, sometimes in 30 minutes...will always start immediately and run smoothly until next stall. Stall can cycle from nice idle to ALMOST stall and back to nice idle many times, and then finally stalling dead. Have replaced fuel filter, fuel pump relay and fuel pump resistor.....

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yesterday stalled many times in driveway after 30 seconds, restart, then same. today - started and ran smoothly for 45 minutes....then I shut it down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?

Just what I said. I recently bought it. 140k miles, owner said it had a dealer service at 100k miles.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
2/18/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

What year and model is this car and what engine?

91 LEXUS LS 400 - V8? STANDARD LUXURY ENGINE I GUESS

Unfortunately that's too old for the Lexuses that I work on. Not had a lot of experience on those older ones. I will opt out so that some of the other experts can take a look at this now they know what year and vehicle you have.

THANK YOU
Lexus Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

from the way you expain the problem,,it sounds like the iac[idle air control] valve

remove and clean the iac and the throttle body with carb cleaner,then re-install the iac

I'll give it a try, Tim - and get back to you here.Thanks...

also,,it is possible for a bad crank sensor to do this

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1qonipvhkanak2/0218-lexas-EFI%20System%20Components.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/d1qonipvhkanak2/0218-lexas-EFI%20System%20Components.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

yes,you can get back to me here

thanks

I'll check those....the main points are that it starts and runs beautifully - the stalling is sometimes in a minute or two, sometimes after driving 5 miles, sometimes after 15 miles....so random! But when it gets into the stalling mode, it's pretty much idle smooth, almost stall or stall, back to idle smooth, etc....for any number of iterations before it finally dies. I will check the IAC CONTROL VALVE AND THE TPS....AND GET BACK TO YOU.

ok..again..if it only does it after it gets warm,,it may be a bad crank sensor

thanks

Hi - so let me catch up. I have swapped (from a good running 91 LS 400), the fuel pump resistor, and the fuel pump relay. I have replaced the fuel pump filter with a new one. I removed and cleaned (it was really caked with carbon) IAC valve. I removed the fuel cap for a couple of days and drove it in the neighborhood - no problems. Then drove it about 10 miles and it started to stall a couple of times, then smoothed out to get home w/no more interruptions.
Yesterday I drove 40 miles to the airport - it ran flawlessly to the airport. When I picked up my passenger and was leaving the airport, it started doing the stalling thing again, of short duration, but every few seconds to minute for a while, by the time we got to the freeway the frequency had slowed to almost nothing, but I could feel it skip a few times on the way back the 40 miles...drove it in the neighborhood (less than 10 miles) yesterday and today with no problems. HOWEVER, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ALL THIS, YESTERDAY, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND WAS ON TODAY.

if the engine light is on,,please scan it and get the codes,,if you dont have a scanner ,auto zone and most parts stores will scan it for free

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic