Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I own a 2008 Lexus RX400j. I am getting a chatter or

Customer Question
fluttering sound when accelerating. On...
I own a 2008 Lexus RX400j. I am getting a chatter or fluttering sound when accelerating. On heavy acceleration there is a swoosh, like an old 4 barrel carb. It seems to come drivers side dash, near the throttle body. What could it be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Lexus
1/19/2016
Lexus Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Check and make sure the air inlet tubing is connected properly to the throttle body as well as that there are no vacuum leaks.I have seen a loose air inlet connection cause this type of fault here as well as a vacuum leak needing repaired to correct this issue here.

In some cases carbon build up in the throttle body bore or bore plate can cause this as well and needs cleaned out with a rag with carburetor cleaner sprayed on the rag to wipe out the throttle body bore and bore plate.

If no check engine light has come on with this issue here I would check and see if this is a vacuum leak or air inlet tubing loose or carbon build up in the throttle body as this can cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already had the throttle body cleaned and had the car with two trusted shops. No one can diagnose this clicking/chatter noise. The shroom noise they believe is intake restriction. Both agree it seems like an intake problem. I was needing more specific help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One mechanic said it may be a faulty throttle body but they have never heard the chattering noise from one before. I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out that's not the problem.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert

Hello. Different expert here. Please allow me to assist. I agree with my colleague Pet with all of his input. One thing that he omitted is the high likelihood of you experiencing a loose baffle in the Intake Air Surge Tank. This is the unit that bolts onto the throttle body, and sends the air form the throttle body into the intake manifold., It is there to create a specific 'turbulence' to the intake air entering the engine to maximize fuel efficiency. The noise you describe is very characteristic of a loose baffle inside the surge tank. If this car was in my shop I would be attaching a special stethoscope to the surge tank and then drive it to duplicate the noise. If the noise is coming form the surge tank (I would expect this), I would recommend replacement of the surge tank and gaskets. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Thanks

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert