Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.
7276279

Ron, here in San Diego. I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus

Customer Question

Hi Ron,
My name is***** here in San Diego.
I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus LS400 Platinum Ed. with 107K miles on it. Love the car.
Cannot find any records indicating that the timing belt has been changed.
I am noticing a "harmonic vibration' around 50 mph. Could it be the timing belt or perhaps the driveline couplings? Any ideas?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bill and thank you for your question,

Are you feeling this vibration in the seat or the steering wheel or can you tell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,Sorry for the delay in getting back with you.
The vibration is in the "seat", or basically the whole car. It ceases when I let off on the throttle.
Just had all wheels aligned and all tires balanced. Rolls very smooth. Just vibrates when accelerating and driving ahead.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I do not suspect this vibration is caused by a bad timing belt. If anything I would suspect you may have a bad engine mount or a bad drive axle and I would start with having these checked first. One or both being worn can cause this type of vibration.