Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

My check engine and VSC warning lights keep coming on. I had

Customer Question

My check engine and VSC warning lights keep coming on. I had it in the shop 5 times this year. Can I reset it myself?
that is what the shop has does the last three times. Seems like it does not effect the drive or proformance of the car.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you happen to have the "p-codes" that were scanned from the on-board computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What now?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Unfortunately, without the p-codes, there is absolutely no way to know for sure where the problem lies. And taking a guess and be correct would be impossible as well. Hopefully I can give you a little insight...

If there are no performance or drivability issues, then more than likely the problem lies in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts/sensors/solenoids in the EVAP System. To get us started down the correct path, we'd need those p-codes. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). These p-codes will point towards the faulty part/sensor/solenoid and from there we can make the correct repair. There are a few different "known issues" and Technical Service Bulletins for items in the EVAP on this vehicle.

As for resetting the light- you can, however, if the problem was not addressed or repaired incorrectly, the light will return within 50-75 miles of driving.