sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2003 Lexus GS 300. My problem is that when I press

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 Lexus GS 300. My problem is that when I press the brake pedal only the 3rd brake light comes on and none of the lower brake lights come on. I have checked fuses, I have replaced all the bulbs, but still the problem remains.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem is either wiring or an internal failure in the light failure sensor module. The brake switch input goes to the module and then it's broken up inside the module and goes to the lower lamps as one circuit, the third brake lamp as another. If the third brake lamp works then you know the switch signal is making it to the module, so the issue either has to be in the module or a wiring issue between the module and the two lamps that aren't working. The first thing that should be done is test the output at the module, if it isn't present then the module will need to be replaced. If output is present but not at the lights then there is an open circuit in the wiring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the module you speak of located in the car?

It should be in the left front corner of the trunk, behind the lining and in the trunk hinge area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check the module for output tomorrow then got back to you on what I find. Thanks.

You're welcome!