Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.
7276279

Dead battery. Jumped car and engine running but instrument

Customer Question

Dead battery. Jumped car and engine running but instrument cluster isnt working and car wont shift into gear when i press brake and try to put in gear
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has sat awhile in garage about 6 weeks. I know it will probably need new battery. Its my mother car. She barely drives. It still smells new in car and engine compartment is super clean. The battery draining has been a problem for past 6 months. It is a replacement battery from lexus installed in 2012. I think something maybe wrong with altenator as well. But im baffled as to why instrument cluster went out and car cannot be put into gear unless i use manual override
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with checking to see if the brake light come on when your press the brakes, the break light signal release the shift lock actuator. Also on the cluster, try a reboot by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together for a few seconds and then reconnect them and see if the cluster come back. Check the break light s operation and post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upon further investigation i realized rhe 120A alternator fuse was blown. Not only is instrument cluster out but radio, a/c, power seats, power windows, mirrors, rear brake lights, etc all dont work. Only thing working is headlights and emergency flashers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once we replace the 120A alternator fuse im being told to test alternator and or alternator relay.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes get the fuse replaced and then check and see if the charging system is charging properly. The normal charge rate on a running engine should be right at 14 volts.