lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

My 2008 Lexus is won't start. Just replaced the battery.

Customer Question

My 2008 Lexus is won't start. Just replaced the battery. Engine tries, but won't quite turn over.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

If you have just fitted a new fully charged battery then remove the connection on the battery post and clean with a wirebrush

as the post have a protective coating that has to be removed with a brush or fine sand paper .

Check the clamps are also clean .

If after connecting the battery and still the same problem check with a volt meter the battery voltage you should have with a new battery fully charged 12.6 volts .

If you have the 12.6 volts then with the voltmeter still connected have a second person try and start and take note of the volt reading ,if the readings drop below 9.6 volts the new battery is bad if the voltage stays above 12 volts check the starter motor wiring circuit if good replace the starter motor .

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery voltage is good. After removing and cleaning terminals and replacing, now engine does not even attempt to turn over
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay with a test light you need to connect to the small wire on the starter motor and when one tries to start

the test light should light up if it does bad starter motor if no light up bad starter circuit, fuse ,relay ,neutral park switch.

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not that, I had to do some combination of having the doors and hood closed and pressing the unlock button on the remote
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay so After replacing the battery the immobilizer was active close all doors lock then unlock with the remote .

So now the engine starts .

Greg