Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

How much to pay fan belt
, there is a vibration on

Customer Question

Customer: How much to pay for replacing fan belt
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: there is a vibration on starting up and tightening did not fix it. It is intermittent Dealer says replace fan $1126
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Also have question about valve cover gasket leak
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please describe the make, model and year of your vehicle. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 Lexus 400h

The fan belt on this model does not cause the fan to move. The fans on this unit are electric.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm The noise did seem like to be coming from the fan belt area when we looked at engine

the belt is on the passenger side of the engine, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No in the center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think, it is at dealer

The fan belt turns other accessories. Like the alternator, the power steering, the AC compressor. The first thing I would do is remove the belts and start it up for a few seconds. If the vibration is no longer there, one of your accessories may be bad. Like bad bearings.

You could also have a faulty water pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car has had this noise for several months and still drives ok since intermittent sound. My gas mileage is not as good. But I also have a valve cover leak

I would be inclined to think that you may have a water pump issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will ask that they check this. What about replacing bushings, my car scrapes in rear going up driveway

That would not be a bad idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I was ignoring as seems expensive around $1000 but don't want to damage car

I would get that taken care of too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 200K Hope this car can go to 260 or 300K Is it worth replacing valve cover leak

Absolutely. A small oil leak at the valve cover will eventually become bigger. What happens here is the valve cover gasket material loses its pliability over time (it gets harder, losing its softness). This allows a gap for the oil to leak out. If the oil leaks onto the exhaust with sufficient drips, the oil could catch fire and burn the engine room wiring. You want to avoid this at all costs. The valve cover gasket replacement is not that much money. I would get the valve cover gasket replaced too.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I could see from a video a lot has to be moved to get to gasket. Thanks I guess I have an old car. But a new one is 50K so may spend a few K to fix these issues. Sounds like I might question the fan belt replacement and mention water pump or something else correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks

yes indeed.

and you are very welcome, glad to help