Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do I reset ignition imobilizer system? Keys & 08 Lexus

Customer Question

How do I reset ignition imobilizer system? Keys for 07 & 08 Lexus 350's insane pocket both with chips and 07 key put into 08 car to start the 08 key failed to even turn
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, Many times inserting the wrong key damages the tumblers inside the ignition switch and will require replacement, but try this first - spray a little graphite into the ignition switch and try inserting the key several times to work the graphite in. Then as you gently bump the end of the key with your hand or a hammer handle, try turning the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Graphite spray did not work! Should I detach battery, reconnect battery, unlock & lock drivers door manually, then same with remote key??? What else can I try?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Reconnect, then lock and unlock driver door only manually, then use the key fob. If still not working, it will either need reprogramming with a scan tool or the ignition switch replaced due to damage to tumblers. Check your local locksmiths as most now have the scan tool and software to do this and can come out to your house instead of you having to tow it in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried suggestion #1: graphite spray.. did not work.
tried suggestion #1: disconnect battery 10', then lock/unlock manually then remote...did not work.
dealer has towed, at our expense, and will fix.