Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Car started sound like engine was knocking then it shut off

Customer Question

Customer: Car started sound like engine was knocking then it shut off and wont start back.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when you try to start car it just turn over but wont start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin is engine turning over and normal speed or does it sound faster ,slower ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
faster
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine sounds like its turning faster
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok I suspect that the timing belt/ chain has broken causing your issue . The timing covers will need to be removed to confirm . Yo may be able to see if camshaft is turning through oil cap if you remove oil cap and can see a camshaft just get someone to try and start car and see if it turns