FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE
1627031

I have a 2004 Lexus LS 430. My battery is dead. So, I had to

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2004 Lexus LS 430. My battery is dead. So, I had to manually enter the car with the key blade. The battery is less than 1 years old. It is a Lexus installed battery. I cannot move the ignition tumbler to jump start the car with my 900 amp jump starter. The ignition and wheel seem to be locked. Is there something that I am doing wrong?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The ignition will not move, the wheel will not move and the brake cannot be depressed. Would I be able to charge the battery without being able to turn the car over?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes..........
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If the key will not move then you need to pull the steering wheel hard in each direction while trying to move the key. The wheel lock may be jammed. If you still cannot get it then you may have an issue with the ignition lock cylinder failing. Trying another key may help. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bobby,
That did not work at all. The wheel has some give in both directions but it eventual stops with a lot of effort and the keys (my key and/or my wife's key) still won't turn. Does this have to do with the dead battery? Nothing electrical is working.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If the battery I completely dead, no voltage at all then this can happen. I would see if you can jump it. If not then the lock cylinder may be damaged.