Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

My fans and compressor are not working. I have already

Customer Question
replaced the compressor AND the...

replaced the compressor AND the ECU, which did NOT fix my issue. I have done some troubleshooting and here is more info: MG CLT Relay has power on both sides of the relay. I should have ground on one side. Does the ECU ground the MGCLT Relay? Since I've already replaced the ECU, what could be causing this? I can jumper the relay and the compressor kicks on. I can also jumper the fans and the fans kick on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
11/22/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Yes, the ecu grounds that relay, but I need to get the 17 digit vin number as well as whether yours automatic or manual climate controls to pull the correct schematics for troubleshooting this

Thanks for responding. It's automatic climate control and here is the VIN: Jt6hf1ov8x0011615I just discovered fan #1 relay is getting power on both sides too, instead of ground on one.

HI,

Ok, the first step is to test the ac pressure switch. If faulty it will prevent operation of both compressor and fans

I have attached the testing procedure

AC pressure switch is fine. It actually tested fine but I replaced it anyways a couple of days ago to eliminate it as the problem.

HI,

Ok, that was not mentioned. Please keep in mind that I am not there to see what you have or have not tested and/or replaced. When you fail to provide all pertinent information, I end up wasting your time and mine posting testing procedures and/or repairs for things you have already did.

So, besides the compressor, ecu, and pressure switch, what else have you replaced or tested in trying to resolve this. Please list EVERYTHING

Replaced ECU, compressor, and combo pressure switch. Tested Ambient temp sensor, power steering sensor, and radiator temp switch and all test good. I've checked all fan relays (1,2,&3), along with the Mgclt relay and they all test good. I do NOT Have power going to the fans. However, I can jumper the terminals on fuse box at fan relay 1, and drivers side fan come on. I jumpered the terminals at fan relay 3 and both fans came on but we're running slow. I actually had jumpered the terminals at fan relay 3 and let them run for 10 minutes and then they stopped running and now I cannot jumper them anymore at this fan 3 terminals. They move like they want to come on but don't. However, I can still get the drivers side fan to come on by jumpering the terminals at fan relay #1.Also, I can jumper both fans individually at each fan's connector drivers side comes on medium speed and passenger side comes on full speed.I can also jumper the terminals on fuse box for the MGCLT relay and the compressor kicks on.The ECU for whatever reason is not applying grounds to turn everything on...and it has been replaced so it is not the problem.

At the body ecu check pin C11 - white with red striped wire for power with ac on and then check same wire at ecu on pin D18

If no power at the body ecu, then check power on pin D20 - black with orange striped wire - at the body ecu

let me know results

Just to clarify, are you asking me to check the engine control module or the body control module and where is it located? I'm familiar with the ecm behind the glove box but it doesn't sound like that's what you want me to check.
Will do first thing in the am. Thx

Ok, sounds good

I checked all 3. Pin C11, d18, and d20. All 3 do the same thing. The voltage never settles. It keeps moving from .5-1.3 and anywhere in between. It does the same thing whether the AC is on or off.If I unplug the bcm and/or ecm the wires give the same reading....no difference.

HI,

Ok, at the climate control panel, check the black with orange striped wire at pin 13 with ac on. If power is present, repair wire between control panel and body ecu. If not, replace the control panel

The black with orange striped wire at the Control Panel (Heater/AC Control Unit), has the same voltage as the bcm and ecm. a moving .5-1.5.

One correction...when I unplug the bcm, that voltage goes away.

With the AC turned on via the control panel, the voltage does not increase or change on the black with orange wire.

Are you telling me that the control panel is bad? How much voltage should I have at the wire when at the control panel when the AC is on?

Also, does the moving .5-1.5 voltage on the bcm/pcm wires mean anything?

Thanks

HI,

The control panel is faulty. This wire feeds the bcm, which then feeds the ecm for sending signal to the compressor clutch relay.

Ok. I ordered a control panel. It should come in Fri or Monday. I will pay you as soon as I install it and confirm it is fixed. Thank you.

HI,

Ok, sounds good

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager