Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I HAVE A 2002 LEXUS ES 300. IT HAS 110,000 MILES ON IT AND

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2002 LEXUS ES 300 . IT HAS 110,000 MILES ON IT AND HAS A NEW BATTERY IN IT. IT HAS HAD REGULAR SERVICE AND IN VERY GOOD SHAPE. TODAY WHEN I TURNED THE IGNITION OFF IT WOULD NOT RESTART. BY THAT I MEAN IT WOULD TURN ON AND THE IGNITIONS LIGHTS
WOULD COME ON HOWEVER THE STARTED WOULD NOT ENGAGE OR NO CLICKING SOUNDS WERE NOT HEARD. I DO HEAR A HUMMING SOUND AS I TURN THE KEY TO THE STARTER POSITION. ANY SUGGESTIONS ???? HARRY
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hell, Harry. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A humming sound when turning the key to start usually indicates that the starter drive is not fully extending to mesh with the flywheel gear to turn the engine over. This sounds to me like you are going to need to replace the starter motor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer