Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Wife bought a used 2008 LS460 with a story of read end

Customer Question
Wife bought a used 2008...
Wife bought a used 2008 LS460 with a history of read end collision and trunk damage and took to body shop to replace remote trunk lock. The car shows parking brake warning (take to dealer). Body shop could not start the car and replaced the battery. The car does not start consistently since but otherwise runs fine. It is totally dead now. The dashboard and accessories and ac all light up after starting with push button. The steering wheel moves up and down with push button start/stop. There is a click and then nothing. Various forums refer to door sensing switch problem, starter problem, battery drainage, need to reset computer, etc. Having car towed to a mechanic tomorrow. Your input is requested. Thanks much George R
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
10/6/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Most likely this is a problem with the push button start. This is a known issue and they have come out with an updated push button switch to resolve this. There is a service bulletin out on it and I have uploaded it for you

L-SB-0161-08

Rev1

November 11, 2008

Smart Key Intermittent No Crank/No Start

Service Category
Vehicle Interior

Section
Theft Deterrent/Keyless Entry

Market
USA

Applicability

^ June 4, 2008 Rev1:

^ Applicability has been updated to include 2006-2008 IS 250 model years.

Any previous printed versions of this service bulletin should be discarded.

Introduction

Some customers may experience a no crank condition or a start and immediate stall condition when starting the engine using the "Push Start" switch. A new "Push Start" switch is now available to address this concern.

Required Tools & Equipment

Additional SSTs may be ordered by calling 1-***-***-****.

Warranty Information

^ This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

^ Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Parts Information

Production Change Information

This TSIB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown.

Overview

Repair Procedure

NOTE

In the repair manuals the push start switch is referenced to as the "Power Switch" when installed in Hybrid vehicles and the "Engine Switch" when installed in all other vehicles.

This TSIB details the replacement of the push start switch on vehicles equipped with Smart Key with one of two specific concerns both of which are intermittent issues that can occur only while starting the engine.

^ No crank and no start concern.

^ Engine cranks starts and then immediately stalls.

NOTE
Before considering replacement of the push start switch please verify the following conditions are normal:

1. Vehicle battery is fully charged.

2. Key battery voltages are within specification.

3. No other repairs have been performed or parts replaced on the smart key system causing the system to become completely inoperative.

4. The M.I.L. (Check Engine Light) is off with the engine running. If the M.I.L. is ON, repair and clear any related codes before performing this TSIB.

Detailed removal and installation instructions of the engine / power switch including systems requiring initialization are found in the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable Repair Manual:

2008 LS 600h:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Rower Switch: and 2007 LS 460 & 460L:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2008 LS 460 & 460L:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2007 GS 350:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2008 GS 350:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2007 GS 450h:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Power Switch: and 2008 GS 450h:

^ Power Source/Network - Power Distribution - "Power Switch: and 2006 IS 250:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2007 IS 250:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2008 IS 250:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2006 IS 350:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2007 IS 350:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2008 IS 350:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2007 ES 350:

^ Engine/Hybrid System - Starting - "Engine Switch: and 2008 ES 350:

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager