Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330. Just replaced the timing belt,

Customer Question
Hello I have a 2004...
Hello I have a 2004 Lexus RX330. Just replaced the timing belt, water pump and the check engine lights, vsc Trac off lights came on. My mechanic used tool to read the codes and reader showed the crankshaft and camshaft were problematic. So we placed that. Lights still on. He made some adjustments to the belt BC it was running a little tougher than normal. The codes went off and stayed off since Friday but returned this am. During the last couple weeks I also took it to Lexus-- they weren't sure what was causing the malfunction and said they would need to take everything apart to assess. Suggested taking it back to my mechanic.
Question now is what should be the mechanic's next steps? I have till the end of October to resolve BC I need to pass emission for car registration. Already have a 30 day repair extension.
Befuddled -- thx
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
10/5/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have the specific code numbers that are set in the vehicle as of this morning causing the check engine light to come on? Can you take nearby AutoZone or similar parts store where most states except California and Virginia they do free malfunction code reads? Can you post all the specific code numbers here? Was the light on prior to the tbelt repair?

I am trying to attach the photos--
P0016Got 2 print outs one says OEM Brand Domestic other says OEM Brand Lexus--Ckp/cmp timing misalignment
Explanation detected crank sensor is not aligned with cam sensorOEM Lexus reading
Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor AProbable cause mechanical valve timing condition and camshaft actuator condition

This P0016 code means there is a correlation or timing problem between the camshaft and the crankshaft. 99.9% of the time this means the camshafts are not correctly timed to the crankshaft. Specifically this code means that bank one which is the back bank by the firewall is out of time. The timing belt has not been installed correctly on that back bank. That is usually the most common one because the timing mark is hard to see and sometimes the cam can move on that back bank when installing the timing belt over the gear and running it back around the front gear and down to the crankshaft. It would be extremely unlikely that there's anything wrong with the VV TI gears the crank sensor or cam sensor provided you didn't remove them while doing the timing belt for any reason or you did not remove the camshaft gears or the crankshaft gear

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician