AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I need to get your help. Have a 2005 Lexus ES ...on sat. Had

Customer Question

Hi, I need to get your help. Have a 2005 Lexus ES ...on sat. Had to have it towed because out of the blue it refused to accept the key into the ignition. After several hours of multiple solutions we thought would work nothing did. With that said, after an hour for some reason it then would let the key go in to the ignition but it remained locked. We moved the wheel as told over the phone by the dealer which didn't work...and then actually locked the wheels up. Reading online it sounds like a design flaw ....what isnthenultimate solution for this ? Thanks in advance for your help.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 years ago.

Hello. The first thing I would ask is, do you have another key that you could try to rule out a bad key? if you have tried another key and neither key will turn the lock cylinder, then you likely need a new ignition lock cylinder

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried two additional keys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can purchase an after market lock cylinder for $175.00 the dealer seems to always take a 250 job and turn it into 1000.. Is there any reason not to go with after market

We install after market lock cylinders all the time. an after market cylinder will come with a new key which may need to be programmed. Is your car not equipped with the keyless starting system? (smart key)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's got the old key style.....not the oldest style but in between traditional key and keyless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Who or how does key get programmed?

the dealer can program it for sure. I am trying to find a procedure to see if you can do it yourself, but my shop software does not show your car as having that system for some reason. Is your key chipped?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It must be chipped. If you have the way to program it....awesome. Does the car lose value having a different key?

I dont think it will lose any value with a different key. as far as programming it, my alldata doesn't show your car as having anything other than the smart key keyless start system for some reason. I am going to opt out in case someone else here has the answer, and I will continue to try to find the information for you. If I find it I will definitely let you know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to confirm that I told you it was a 2005 ES 330

Yes. I got that. Before spending any money on a new cylinder, try using a little penetrating oil on your key and inserting the key in and out and attempting to turn the key. We have seen quite a few sticky lock cylinder tumblers in the past that are loosened up with a little wd40 or other penetrating oil with a little patience and persistence. please give that a try and let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work and you end up needing the procedure for replacement of the cylinder and programming of the key, please let me know and I will opt out. Sorry your car is giving you this trouble.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we tried to use some graphite... is that the same thing

They are not the same. I would try the infamous WD-40 or another penetrating oil

Hello. Have you gotten the problem resolved?