Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I am trying to repair a 1999 Lexus RX300 with awd with 144K

Customer Question
miles. There is a rattling...
I am trying to repair a 1999 Lexus RX300 with awd with 144K miles. There is a rattling sound coming from the top of the engine. the timing belt seemed loose so I replaced it along with the water pump and hydraulic tensioner. I checked under the left valve
cover and there was considerable sludge. I cleaned off the sludge and put everything back together. The rattle is still present. The vehicle drives normally and there are no codes. How do I test the VVTI system?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
While waiting for a response I removed the right valve cover and cleaned around the cams. I also pulled both oil control valves and powered them to make sure they are functional. I should note that all of the camshaft lobes looked good, there was no sign of oil starvation. I suspect that the VVT gears are not functioning. How do I tell if they are bad?What other causes tend to cause the rattling sound?.
7/11/2015
Lexus Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question and that great information. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on at all.
no check engine light and no engine codes. I just bought the car because the pervious owner was told that she needed a new engine. She had the car for 2 weeks when she was told she needed a new engine. i am pretty sure that the sound is not rod knock. But I am still planning on dropping the oil pan to clean any sludge and to check for damage. I admit that I was thinking 'engine problem' when I started working on the car, and I am not entirely sure that the power steeling pump isn't shot and is causing the rattle.
I found what appears to be bearing material in the oil pan. I won't need any assistance with the VVT system.
It sounds like you have a much larger problem on your hands. Did you need further assistance with this?
I am getting emails to 'rate your service'. I did not get any service and am reluctant to provide a rating. Providing a satisfactory rating would cost me a few dollars and give you a positive rating, while providing a negative rating would hurt my account standing and lower your approval rating. Neither option is acceptable to me. I have asked another question regarding the RX300. Perhaps you could answer that question.
Please ask me that question here. I am happy to help and would like to earn a higher rating from you.
Thank you for the opportunity to do so.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician