Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus Rx300: My son tried to syphon a quart of oil out of the

Customer Question

My son tried to syphon a quart of oil out of the oil pan by running a vinyl tube down dipstick tube & once he pushed it down into pan it got hooked up on something & it won't pull out. If left in, will it damage the engine?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. In all honesty, I would not let this tube stay there. I would strongly recommend you have it removed (probably via removal of the oil pan)...The reason is if the tube gets sucked into the rotating crankshaft, and it gets torn apart via the crankshaft movement, the resultant vinyl particles that are left may end up clogging up the oil pickup screen. For the price of the oil pan removal, the avoidance of a potentially disastrous engine repair is avoided. The recommendation I have for you on this issue is have the oil pan removed and the vinyl tube removed. Don't try to yank it out thru the top; you need to make sure it is 100% gone. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will take car to certified mechanic and have the oil pan removed & the tube taken out. Thank you.
Very good. That is a good plan. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again