Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2012 lexus 250 IS the rear passenger windows roll down when

Customer Question

2012 lexus 250 IS the rear passenger windows roll down when rolled up at full speed they hit the top and roll dow 3/4 of the way. The front passenger window will only roll dow 1/4 of the way, Driver window works as it should.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Try the procedure below and see if this corrects the fault here.
(1)Connect the battery and turn the engine switch on (IG) (at this time, the LED on the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly blinks to indicate that it is ready for initialization).
(2)Fully open the window by fully pushing down the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully opened.
(3)Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully closed to reset the glass position. The LED on the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly stops blinking and illuminates to indicate that the initialization is complete.
(b)Initialization procedures when removing/installing the power window regulator motor assembly:
(1)Connect the battery and turn the engine switch on (IG).
(2)Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 6 seconds or more after the window is fully closed (if the power window does not move or stops halfway even when the switch is fully pulled, release the switch and fully pull it again).
(3)Fully open the window by pushing down the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully opened.
(4)Release the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly. Then fully push down and hold the switch for 4 seconds or more.
(5)Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly or power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully closed to reset the glass position and complete the initialization.
(c)Initialization procedures when the power window does not fully open:
If no parts were replaced just follow the learning process.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pete,
I tried to reprogram the windows but the master switch is not going into program mode. Here are the steps that I did to try and program. I pressed the start button to power on in accessory mode. I rolled the Driver window completely down and held the switch for around 5 seconds. I rolled the driver window up and held the switch for fifteen seconds. The lights never flashed green or even lit up.
A little history on the car. I bought the car wrecked on the passenger side. While the car was being repaired the battery went dead. I think that is why the windows lost their programming. After charging the battery and attempting to roll down the windows the driver window and rear driver passenger window worked as they should. The passenger rear window would not operate. The passenger front window would only roll 1/4 of the way down. I removed the door panels on both passenger side doors and found the front passenger door mirror power cable was misrouted and in front of the window track. This would only allow the window to roll down 1/4 of the way. I routed the power cable for the mirror in the correct location. With both door panels off, I programmed the windows and all worked properly. They all rolled down and back up as they should. I then put the door panels back on; but, I had to disconnect the window switch power on both passenger doors. I installed the panels and reconnected the power cable to the window switches. I tried to roll all of the windows down again. Both of the driver side windows worked properly and the rear passenger side window worked properly; but, the passenger side front window would only roll down 1/4 of the way. I tried to reprogram the windows again.
This is the state that I am in right now. The driver window operates correctly. Both back windows roll down and when you roll them up at normal speed they immediately open to 3/4ths of the way open. If you slowly bump the windows up they will shut and seal. The passenger front window still only rolls 1/4 of the way down. I have tried to reprogram the windows but it never goes into program mode. I tried to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and try to program again with the same result. I really hope that you can help. Thank you for your support it is greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Can you get the fault codes checked in all computers using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set and let me know as this will help?
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to run a scan code on the windows but the scanner I have did not read a code for the windows. The scanner is new and I am not familiar with it yet. It is a snap on solus scan tool. If you can provide me directions to run the tool I can get the results later today. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have the info on how to run this to check the codes here.Usually once you enter the vehicle info on the scan tool it will give you options on what computers to check codes in but on most after market scan tools they are unable to communicate with all computers and the codes need checked by one that can read all computers.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did a scan and there was no codes present.
Thanks,
Forrest
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Was your scan tool one that can communicate with all computers in your model?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was a snapon solus scanner. I believe that it does read all computers.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.,this is a tough one for me to be able to answer from here myself.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Please allow me to add some input on this request. Since the windows are going up and then retracting, the windows seem to be working OK. The probkem you may be having is the safety feature built into the window motor. The raise and then retract is supposed to cause the window to lower if something is in the travel of the window (child, head, neck, arm, etc) Yes it is a reach for a head to be sticking out and somebody raise the window, but the safety feature is there to retract the window when an obstacle is detected. The thing that causes this (in technical terms) is called a Positive Temperature Coefficient Thermister". WIthout wasting a lot of your time on how it works. it basicly does this: When the window raises, the motor has to work to raise it. If the window encounters an obstacle, the motor works real hard to continue to raise the glass. At some point (this happens rather quickly, by the way), the thermister thingy gets hot because of the motor working harder. The harder it has to push, the hotter it gets. When the obstacle is encountered, and the motor heats a bit, the thermister opens and causes the computer to reverse the current to the motor to relieve the upward pressure. This makes the window lower. Now, in your case, the majpority of the problem is the glass is simply raising slower than it is supposed to. Dirt buildup inside the window trackes will cause the window to slow when raising. This causes the motor to work harder, the thermister to activate, etc....If I were you, the very first thing I would do would go and get a can opf spray silicone lubricant. lower the window and then spray the rubber window tracks on each side of the glass liberally. Raise and lower the glass, and wiper the track out where you can get to it with paper towels. If my hypothesis is right, the silicone will loosen up the glass and make it raise at the proper speed. We do this in the shop many times over the spring/summer months. Hopefully this helps.