Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus RX(###) ###-####battery light came on yesterday. Car stalled…

Customer Question
Lexus RX(###) ###-####battery light came...
Lexus RX(###) ###-####battery light came on yesterday. Car stalled today after dash lights and radio kept turning on and off. Got boost but battery light stayed on and died again 4 blocks away. Battery or alternator? Confused!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Ron Z., - Lexus Tech - replied 3 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
From what you are describing here, it sounds very much like you have a failing Alternator. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.