Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus LS 430: I have a 6 CD changer, on a 2005 Lexus LS 430,

Customer Question
I have a 6 CD...
I have a 6 CD changer, on a 2005 Lexus LS 430, Levinson system. CD error continues to show. Door halfway open. CD's will not eject or play. Even when I change CD channel nothing plays. 6 CDs are in changer. Help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
6/18/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think it's safe to say that your CD changer is jammed. Hopefully a CD is not caught in the works, or it may be damaged by the process of freeing up the jamming.
First thing, the door that is halfway open... remove the CD (if it's still there)... do you see anything through it? if there's nothing unusual showing there, see if you can, gently, urge it shut with your fingers.
Then turn the changer (or the stereo it is in) Off. Leave it Off for 1 + hour.
Turn it On, while holding down the Eject button. If the CD error continues, and you get no action, loosening up, or otherwise relieving of the jammed changer, you may have to have it removed and disassembled to get the CDs out. And it may have to be serviced or replaced. This is an unfortunate fact about all multi-CD-changers that I have worked with: They are prone to acute problems, when their workings have problems at all.
No real or worthy advice received on how to fix problem. My question was not about a jam problem. Pretty easy to know if I had a jam. Replacing item is not real advice. Should have known this would not be real advice but a scam to get $18 from the unknowingly public. I hope you guys choke on my money!
With all due respect, I do not see how you could be certain your problem was not a jam-type problem.When approaching problems with varying types and classes of equipment, I tend to try to address every problem that might be possible (as far as I can see, from here where I am.)I'm here to try to assist you - but, I also stand by my answer. It's not that I could not improve on it a bit, or add to it - and, a second attempt (without additional charge to you) at an Answer to your Question is indeed a part of this system and website.What things do you observe that indicate it could be something other than a jam? (I'm inclined to agree, really - it could be the motor has failed, or locked up, or other problems, perhaps.) As for my insisting it's a jam and must be replaced... allow me to quote, with emphasis, a part of my Answer that you may not have read:you may have to have it removed and disassembled to get the CDs out. And it may have to be serviced orI have done that remove-and-disassemble process for a Sony CD changer/stack/etc. assembly. It isn't easy, but the CD or CDs inside are gotten out undamaged that way, at least. Aren't there some CDs inside it, still?
The CD player was working fine. It just stopped working all of a sudden. CD's were already in the changer. Turned car on and CD player would not play. CD error displayed.
That can happen, in precisely the way you have given such a good description of. Equipment with electronics, and electric motors, in it, can suddenly stop working. The interior cause is usually a trifle of overheating, though often enough something else. Has it been hot weather lately in your part of the world? I would presume so. To get the CDs out, you - or someone e.g. a radio installer at a car dealership or car shop - would have to unplug, and dismount from the console area of your automobile, the CD changer, first of all.- A question, at this stage: is the CD changer possibly still covered by its warranty?If so, disassembling it further would void its warranty.
No warranty, which is why I contacted your company. I should have known that the answer would be replacement. Took a chance on your site's word that a fix could be feasible. $18 to tell me I need a replacement. That's Capitalism.
I must insist: I am not answering you with 'replace it'. I am answering you with:
You need the CDs to be removed. To remove them, you will need to have the unit dismounted from the car and unplugged from it, and have it disassembled.
Of course, you could try powering it On, after turning it Off for 5 hours, while holding down the Eject button or Eject control for at least 30 seconds. That does rarely work.
(And if it is not a multiple-CD-changer, if it holds only one CD, you could perhaps get the CD out by releasing the switch concealed behind a pinhole near the CD slot or CD tray.)
Russell H., Service Tech