Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus LS400: I have 1993 Lexus LS 400, Can't get out of

Customer Question
Hi I have 1993...
Hi I have 1993 Lexus LS 400, Can't get out of park. Liquid spill.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lexus
6/9/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert replied 3 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Hello,. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
What you have here is a failed or sticking transmission lever shift solenoid.
To get to this, you need to remove the center console and the shifter assembly. This is not an eashy task for one who may not be mechanically inclined (apologies; I do not know if you can perform this task or not)
If you cannot perform the removal of the console and the shifter assembly (under the shifter is the solenoid unit that needs replaced), the vehicle will need towed to the shop. The only way to move the car with the shifter seized in Park would be to disconnect the shift cable from the transmission, or, move the vehicle around with a floor jack so the tow truck can get to it.
If you have any questions, please reply

If i send to repair shop, what is the estimated cost?

The labor will be in the vicinity of three to 4 hours. Labor rates vary from shop to shop. In my shop, that would be 3 to 400 dollars.
Regarding the solenoid, if liquid was spilled on it, they might be able to clean it and re-use it. The problem we face here is the broken over-ride button. If you want to replace that (and you should); you will need the entire shift over-ride solenoid assembly. This is going to cost around 400 or so dollars, if my memory serves me correctly
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

I can follow good instructions. Do you have step by step instructions and photos, should I attempt opening and replacing the shift assemby myself. Thanks

Apologies, I do not have any pictures that I can transmit.