Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.
7276279

Lexus IS250: My 2009 is250 recently started showing check complete

Customer Question

My 2009 is250 recently started showing check complete while driving. Also started shutting off on its own when coming to a stop or driving very slow. Have to put it in park to restart it. Turns right back on most of the time.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In most cases if the engine is intermittently stalling the computer should pick up and store a fault code and or codes detecting a problem. If your dealer did not scan the system then the next steps would be to do so. Most part stores can run a scan for you at no charge . If you can get the system scanned and post back with any fault codes retrieved , I will help you from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The scan was done with no trouble codes stored. No check engine light. I've read a few forums that show no results for this fix. A few suggestions were the push button start.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
One other thing you may want to consider doing it to give the throttle body a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and a soft cloth. Before you do so, remove the negative battery cable to clear the closed throttle values. After the cleaning , restart the engine and allow it to idle for about 15 minutes so the computer can relearn the closed throttle values. Give this a try and see if it will solve the stalling concern.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The throttle body was cleaned also by the dealer. It did bring up the idle while in gear a bit. When the car shuts off driving slow it all shuts down, gauges and the whole dash but the radio stays on. When it does it at highway speeds it stalls for a split second and the dash will show check complete like when you start the car.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Well at some point the computer should pick something and set a code. Unfortunately until that happens I'm not sure what else to advise you on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks anyway. I'll try and remember to post what the dealer does when I bring it back today.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Okay, sorry I could not be of anymore help, post back with the results if you will.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the dealer has the car still after 2 weeks. The ECU was swapped out and same thing was happening. The dealership is now following a possible short behind the dash or the gauge cluster. At least they were kind enough to provide us with a nice loaner car.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully they can find it. Sometimes electrical problem can be very difficult to nail down. Let me know how it works out.