Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

My brake lights are out on my 2000 Lexus RX300 What steps do

Customer Question
I take to best trouble...
My brake lights are out on my 2000 Lexus RX300 What steps do I take to best trouble shoot the problem? I know that there are several reasons the brake lights could go out but I dont know where to start and in what order and how
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
5/24/2015
Lexus Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light?
I can help you check this out, you want to start by disconnecting the brake switch on the shaft of the brake pedal and bridge the connection with a paperclip.
Test the paperclip to see if it has 12 volts and let me know the result so I can guide you to the rest of the procedure
Thank you
That's not going to work. There's no room for me to get up under there to get to it.
How do I get to the light failure censor?
There is enough room to get the connector off.
If you cannot get to the connector to bridge the lamp switch can you use a testlight or voltmeter to check the signal to the light failure sensor in the back?
How do I get to the light failure sensor in the back? Do I need any special tools or will a screwdriver be good?
Screwdriver and a plastic prybar or a flat screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape to protect the plastic as you pry.
I am sorry but I do not have diagrams for the panel removal, the location is linked below
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/sen.pdf
Copy and paste the link into a new browser tab and I will see if I can find a video for you to view.
Thanks
Hi, got the location; already looked at that schematic online. the panel removal procedure, and/or any special tools required; so as to not break a bunch of stuff.In regards ***** ***** actual switch up under the dash, I can hardly get to it; I'm a larger man. However, and having that said, I was able to get a smaller screwdriver up in there, to try pushing the electrical connector off of the switch; I used moderate pressure, but the only thing that moved was the screwdriver, when it bent
Sorry for lack of clarity, the rear 'light failure sensor'; to access it, do I need any special tools, and is there any written procedure for proper panel removal?
That is fine, it normally is the lamp failure sensor, I wanted you to turn on the brake switch connector so you could check at the LFS to see that the signal was getting there.
YOu can do the same thing at the LFS if you press the pedal to activate the switch. If no voltage is getting to the LFS you will have to go back up to the brake switch.
Let me know if you want to test the LFS
Thank you
I almost have the side torn off but i'm stuck on how to get the cell phone charger plug thing out with out breaking it. Any suggestions?
The power outlet?
yep, how do i get it out?
+I can't pull the panel off until the out let is taken out
The panel can be pulled out enough to unplug the outlet.
I really wish I had something for you to view but I don't have anything showing the removal of that panel.
I am going to OPT OUT of your question and maybe one of the other experts will have a solution for you
Sorry I could not get you in there.
cool, i'll try tht
I need to be the last to respond, if anyone has help for you they will post here
Thanks
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician