Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus ES300: I have a 2000 Lexus ES 300 that has codes PO300,

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Lexus ES 300 that has codes PO300, 302, 304, 306 which tells me misfires in those cylinders. Runs smooth up until 45 mph then every now and then hesitation. Check engine light and traction control light on. other codes on are P1354 NO DTC Def found ? P1150 NO DTC Def Found ? Trying to get a sticker but can't with these issues. Will changing the plugs and wires do the trick?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. how many miles are on this vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
187,000 miles. Will you be able to give me a ball park figure of cost? So I know what to expect and not get hosed by a mechanic or the dealer.
Okay what you're going to find here is that the oil control valve solenoid or OCV for bank two is sticking. 90% of time when you have this combination of codes set it means that the variable valve timing is staying advanced or retarded leaving the intake valves open for the front bank which is bank two. When this happens it causes the cylinder misfire's on those three cylinders. As a byproduct the P1150 which is the air fuel ratio sensor code sets because the mixture is thrown off due to the low compression and the valve sticking open. There is a remote chance you may need the AFR sensor but it's not likely. What you need to do is have the oil control valve or OCV replaced for bank two. The valve itself runs about $100 you are best served buying it from a Toyota or Lexus dealer. The labor to install it is about one hour. This is not a major expense or repair. This is actually fairly common problem given the mileage that you have. The other 10% of the time it could be the actual actuator on the intake cam for that bank that could be sticking but that's much more expensive and involved to replace. The first place to start always with these codes is with the oil control valve. If you need any further clarification feel free to reply and I will get back to you.