Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

Gs 300 lexus: frank here at a shop got 1999 Lexus gs300

Customer Question
Hi frank here at a...
Hi frank here at a shop got 1999 Lexus gs300 dtc 1300 and starts 3 seconds dies new wires dura last plugs swapped igniter w known good one and changed pigtails on all 3 coils did timing belt lines up car came in running but now it won't stay running
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lexus
5/13/2015
Lexus Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
just to clarify you're stating that it ran perfectly fine until the timing belt was changed? Do you have an oscilloscope or a borescope?
no i do not, and yes it did run perfectly fine until then, but I also took off the valve cover, and I had the same problem in a different car that was the same year and model a month ago the wires for the coils were fried together i got that car to run with the dtc 1300
will the dtc 1300 come on if the belt is improperly installed, and it seems that I am losing noid on the injectors it will run with starting fluid i just don't understand the correlation between dtc 1300 and the timing belt, also we took off the cam seals. so we had to take the sprocket off the intake cam when we put it on it only moved 30 degrees like the book said it should
Clarification the P1300 code is and ignition confirmation signal back to the computer if it does not see this it shuts injector pulse off. That is normal. Probably what you're going to find is the reluctor gear with the drive gear on the crankshaft that has the little serrations or teeth on it, one of them got damaged. Pull the belt back off and check this drive gear and make sure none of the teeth are nicked even slightly if it is it throws this code and will shut the system down. The only other possible option is the wires to the crankshaft sensor but typically you will have a code for the crankshaft position sensor if that's the case. Let me know you find with the crankshaft drive gear seriation teeth for the crank signal.
ok got the timing cover off the drive gear looks really good I have pictures I don't know how to send them on this site do you? i've had that problem before breaking teeth on the gear so we were really careful because I didn't want to buy another one but if I have to I will, we are a little confused on the intake sprocket gear installation could you explain to me how to install that with the belt where do you set it at etc.
when you put the sprocket on the book says to rotate it 30 degrees and it does rotate, do you have to take the oil line off the vvt i solenoid and why? we did not do that, when you put the sprocket back on and tighten it up where do you tighten it up at 30 or 0. the book did not specify on how to align that, the car came in lined up and we did not take the 5 bolts off the sprocket so we did not damage it.
I'm just trying to clarify are you saying that at no time you had the camshaft timing VVTI gear off of the end of the camshaft?
I did have that gear off I changed the cam seal i did not remove the 5 bolts like the book said
Were you able to upload a picture of the drive gear? There should be a tab that allows you to upload pictures. Or you can use a third-party server like photo bucket and then post a link here.
my phone is dead i am going to try to do it tonight could you explain how to line up the intake camshaft and the vvt i gear
I will gather some information and send it.
After you install the VVTI gear onto the end of the camshaft so that the knock pin aligned properly with the hole in the gear did the outer circumference of the VVTI gear move at all or was it fixed?
It moved 30 degrees like it is supposed to.
The book is not very specific about were to set that VVTI gear. It says that you should rotated to make sure it moves the 30°. It then just as to install and line the marks up on the back cover with the gear. Which would mean you would have to rotated back to the right or clockwise. This being said if that's what you did and installed it you would not have a 1300 code it would set a variable valve timing correlation code. Because the camshaft at that point would be out of time. If you are not getting that code this is not the problem. The only other time I've seen a P1300 code set is when there is a malfunction with one of the ignition coils shorting the system out. If you are 100% certain that the drive gear is in good condition with no cracks or nicks then the wiring to the crank sensor and cam sensor needs to be inspected to make sure there's no shorts. Without an oscilloscope to check the pattern of these two sensors it is difficult to say for certain whether that could be triggering the problem. It's been too long since I have worked on one of these older ones and I can't recall where I set the timing after the 30° check but I believe it was clockwise so that the mark on the gear lines up with the Mark on the backing plate. Then the belt is installed.
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician