Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

On a 2003 Lexus ES300, the trunk release on the dash will not

open the trunk. No click...
On a 2003 Lexus ES300, the trunk release on the dash will not open the trunk. No click is heard. The trunk main switch in the glove compartment is in the "operative" position, and fuses ECU-IG, CIG and POWER No. 1 have been checked and are OK. Could you please suggest the next step(s)? Thank you., Dave
9/29/2013
AMD
AMD, Master Technician

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Lexus question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

Yes, I am.

AMD :

Hello! how are you doing today?

Customer:

Fine, and trying to help my father-in-law.

AMD :

I will do my best to help. let's check a couple more fuses then we will need to dig further into the issue to find out the problem, Is that OK?

Customer:

OK.

AMD :

Check a 25A Door no.2 fuse and another 25A Door No.1 fuse

Customer:

It's pitch black here in Florida at 9:20 PM. I don't think I can go out to check these now, but could in the morning.

AMD :

OK Let's try by checking these 2 fuses, I doubt it will be a fuse issue so I would like to ask you this.

AMD :

Are you willing to fix the issue yourself with my assistance so we can work together to diagnose the issue?

Customer:

Yes

AMD :

OK Do you have a multimeter handy?

Customer:

Yes

AMD :

OK What we need to do tomorrow is remove the master switch in the glove box. then ground the blue wire with a yellow tracer to ground. see if the trunk opens.

AMD :

Then get back to me

AMD :

With grounding the wire like that we automatically tested everything in the circuit and bypassed the switches.

Customer:

OK. How do you remove the Master Switch? I felt around it today and it seems to be enclosed in the glove compartment "box". Does it pull straight out? If so, no big deal. In any event, I'll get it out, ground the blue wire with a yellow tracer and let you know if the trunk opens. I'll also check the fises and let you know if there are OK. Thank you for your help. Dave :-)

AMD :

Let me verify but if I remember correctly you remove the box, let me double check give me a few moments.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX there a way to print this chat?

AMD :

You may copy and paste it to your computer then print it :-)

Customer:

Thanks

AMD :

You're welcome. So removing the glove box master switch, I don't think it comes out, try to pop it out but if it doesn't then here's what you do,

AMD :

remove the kick panel then underneath that will be a 10mm bolt then on the other edge of the lower glovebox there's a screw then when you open the glove box there's 3 screws once all that is removed the glove box will pull out and you'll have access to the switch.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me at this time?

Customer:

No, and thank you for your time. I will be back to you tomorrow. Have a great evening, Dave

AMD :

You're welcome Dave. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

make sure you bookmark this page so you can get back to it. My name is XXXXX XXXXX case you couldn't find it open a new question asking for me by name and we'll get you a refund for that question.

AMD
AMD, Master Technician

AMD,

I checked both fuses and both were good. Next, I removed the glove compartment box, and found the Master Switch just did pop out. There were no wires connected to it. I found the wires up inside the dash and fished then through the glove compartment chase and connected them to the Master Switch, and the dash trunk release button worked. Don't know how they were disconnected as they have a formed plug that fits only one way into the back of the switch, and it has a locking connection so it can't just pull apart. Inside the dash, I found the cabin filter door and the filter looked looked like it had never been replaced, and installed a new one. Everybody happy on this end. Thank you for your help and suggestions. FYI - There are 2 posts (1/4 turn) inside the glove box, 1 on each side, that you remove and it allows you to drop the box to access the cabin filter. The box just unhooks from the bottom and allows complete removal. Thanks again, and have a great day, Dave

Hello Dave,

I'm glad the issue is resolved, that is odd that the connector was unhooked.

Thank you for the follow up and please let me know if you need any further assistance in the future.
AMD
AMD
AMD, Master Technician