Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Did anyone receive my question about self adjusting headlamps on a Lex…

Did anyone receive my question...
Did anyone receive my question about self adjusting headlamps on a Lexus RX300. I typed in the question and then my browser crashed.
11/6/2012
Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 9 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Thank you for posting! If you need more assistance please REPLY otherwise less then perfect feedback from you means I don't get paid.
I do NOT see any question history or open posts under your user name here that were previously input. Sorry for any frustration.
What exactly is the question or issue with your vehicle that I may assist with?

My Question is about the self adjusting headlamps on a Lexus RX300 LE 2005.

When first switched on just for a moment the dipped beam is at a normal distance and height, enough to see ahead safely but not too high to dazzle other road users. But then immediately the beam drops down much too close to the front of the vehicle, too close to drive safely.

I thought that the chassis sensors might be sticking and causing this so since we have speed bumps on our house road (to slow down the traffic) I drove over them a little more quickly than usual to see if that up and down movement might encourage these sensors to free up and work normally.

The result was that the beam did remain normal for a short time ( I drove about 100 metres and they were fine) but than again dropped down too close to the front of the vehicle.

The vehicle very recently passed the Ministry of Transport (MOT) test and it is possible that when tested on the ground the lights were fine. But afterwards when the vehicle was put up on the ramps and lifted off the ground to inspect underneath maybe this extended the sensors and caused them to stick.

Ok. Does the rx have the optional electronically modulated air suspension package also?
And just to be clear here the lamps are aimed too low ALL the time now correct?

I don't know if the RX has the electronically modulated air suspension.

It is a Lexus RX 300 LE Auto. Chassis No.JTJHF31U702010157

It does have self adjusting headlamps and the local Lexus Garage told me their are sensors on the headlamps and on the chassis.

And... yes, when on dipped beam both near and offside lamps are aimed too low.

Ok. If you pull this up to a wall and turn the headlamps on then start the vehicle can you observe th headlamps move up/down at all?

I will need to test this now, please give me five minutes.

No rush

After overnight parking if I start the vehicle in front of a wall and then turn on the headlamps the dipped beam is normal at first but then immediately drops down.

However if I then switch off the lights and the ignition and then turn the ignition on and again turn on the lights the beam is immediately in the very low position with no visible movement.

Ok. That is what I needed to know. Thank you. The lamps have 2 ways to aim/level. First is the manual adjusters in the lamp. Since the beams change aim here and are normal at first then the manual aim is not the issue. Since the lamp DO move and there is not an "afs" warning light on in the dash this means that the level motors in the lamps are good. There is a level sensor on the r/f strut area and another on the rear right lower control arm. Usually it is th rear one that goes bad and causes this. A dealers scan tool can read input readings to verify inputs but if you want to skip this step you can bolt new level sensors into the chasis. Just make sure to note/mark the adjustable arms to the same position prior to removal.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is very useful.

Could you please explain the following…

What is an “afs” warning light?

What is the r/f strut?

Hid equpiied models have afs, this is the headlamp leveling system, there is a warning light built into the gauges that comes on if the motors fail or jam.
A r/f strut is the right front suspension strut.

A: Thank you again, this information is very helpful.

May I ask you two more final queries?

Is it fairly straightforward to access the sensors on both the r/f strut area and on the rear right lower control arm?

And do you know a good online site from which to purchase a workshop manual for the RX300?

Meanwhile thank you again for your valuable help. I will return in the future when the need arises and make sure I access lexpert.

North amerian lexus has online manuals at www.techinfo.toyota.com your rx is called an rx330 in the usa. Yes this is an easy bolt up repair. Just need a 10mm socket. Be cautious of positioning as I outlined before.

I have been to collect my wife from the rail station and noticed that when the dipped headlamps appear to be working properly there is an ‘afs’ warning light on the dashboard. Then as soon as the lights drop down into the very low position, the ‘afs’ light goes out.

Does this change your diagnosis, what do you think it is?

Thank you again. I appreciate your time and will of course give an excellent rating for your help

Ok, if the afs light is indeed coming on then there could be an issue with one of the actual headlamps not just a height control sensor. I highly recommend you have a dealer plug a scan tool into this before you bolt any parts to the vehicle.

I pressed the Excellent Service button last night. Did you receive confirmation?

Do I need to press it again, I don't want to pay twice unnecessarily..

Thank you again for you advice about the headlamps.

No sir I do not see a rating posted, this query is still "open". Your initial payment is held as a deposit here until you post ratings and you cannot be double charged.
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech