Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus LS430: 2003 Lexus LS430 with 115,000 miles....Been serviced

2003 Lexus LS430 with 115,000 miles....Been serviced at the Lexus Dealership, the 90,000 miles service was done. Oil changed was done every 3,000 miles @ Lexus Dealership. Recommendations from Lexus -1) Replace Front Lower Control Arm Mount/Pivot Bushing, r&r Both 2) Replace Valve Cover Gasket, r&r 4.3L Both 3) Replace Spark Plugs, r&r. 4) A new telescopic motor.
Question.... Are these common problems with the Lexus LS430 with 115,000 miles. Do all of the above repairs normally go bad about the same time, the total estimate is about $2,900.00

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you in your question.

Customer:

Hello, Ok please assist me

Toyota Service :

Ok.

Toyota Service :

Let's take your issues one at a time

Toyota Service :

Regaring the valve cover gaskets...90,000 miles is about right.

Toyota Service :

Replace spark plugs. That too should be done at 90,000

Toyota Service :

Lower control arms, etc? I'd have to have some visual proof that they are worn/bad/etc.

Toyota Service :

Are the tires wearing unevenly/the alignment cannot be set properly? Only then would I consider the lower arms

Customer:

When the 90,000 miles service was done, should the valve cover gaskets have been replaced at that time or should they have told me about it, or was it included in the 90,000 miles service?

Toyota Service :

Telescope motor...Not a common failure unit, but, if it is used a lot, it is possible.

Toyota Service :

Valve cover gaskets are not normal 90K maintenance items. If they are not leaking, they do not need to be replaced

Toyota Service :

I see the VC gaskets starting to seep around 90-100K miles. Replace them only if they are leaking. It is a rather time consuming job.

Customer:

The VC gaskets, can smell the oil, therefore they are leaking. If the VC gaskets are leaking would that mess up the spark plugs?

Toyota Service :

The VC gaskets....if you can smell oil, replace them. The oil leaking from the VCGs will not mess up the function of the plugs. Note that the plugs are routine replacement items.

Customer:

To replace the VC gaskets and the spark plugs, what would be an estimated price to do these 2 jobs?

Toyota Service :

I would expect to pay about 10 dollars apiece for the plugs, about 100 for the gaskets, and maybe about 4 hours labour for the work, times your area's going labour rate.

Toyota Service :

they may charge you for a few incidentals, like cleaners and the like.

Toyota Service :

A note on the lower arms. I have not replaced any lower arms in the recent past. I would have to be convinced that the arms need replaced.

Toyota Service :

The prices provided are rough estimates; I do not have the actual part numbers in front of me to be exact.

Customer:

With the oil being changed with 113,000 miles and before then, 109,000 miles should they have detected that at least one of the VC gaskets was leaking during the oil changes?

Toyota Service :

A good dealership service tech is supposed to look for, identify, and alert the customers to upcoming needs when the vehicle is in for service.

Customer:

OK, thanks for information, which has been very helpful. Have a good day!